A Short History Of Churchmount Church
 “Presbyterianism was restored as the religion of Scotland in 1678. An associate synod was founded in 1734 at Gairney Bridge. Their ideal was freedom, energy, mission and working with the poor. This was the original Secession Church. This church eventually splitting into several groups;- the Burghers and anti Burghers, the Auld Lichts and New Lichts and the Relief Kirk.
It was on 23rd August 1763 while Lochgelly was still a very small village (100 years later it still only had a population of 650) that people in Ballingry, Beath and Auchterderran petitioned the Burgher Presbytery of Dunfermline for the supply of sermon (i.e. church services.) A new congregation was formed in Lochgelly as the most central place and a Burgher Secession Kirk was built in Mid Street in 1764. The first Minister was ordained and inducted in 1767.
In 1822 all the splinter groups came together as the United Presbyterian Church. They were known as the UP’s
The UP Church was built in 1864 in Church Street at a cost of £1000.00. The old church was disposed of and became a ”Music Hall” On 28th July 1869 Rev James Brown was inducted and introduced to the new church and manse. This coincided with the expansion of the population and mining industry.
At the close of 1890 membership stood at 293.
In 1929 with the union of the established church, the UP Church became Churchmount Church sharing the work of the Parish in Lochgelly.
Churchmount Church consisted of a Church, manse and two halls. They shared with the congregation of Macainsh the mission work in the James Brown Memorial Hall.”
From 1929 a further six ministers served the church and congregation.
The decision to close Churchmount Church was taken by The Synod of Fife in April 1980 following a recommendation by Presbytery.
The congregation of Churchmount Church was dissolved 31st May 1980, following the retirement of Rev F Stewart.
The members deciding to worship at St Andrew’s Church and Macainsh Church.